KAINUU ORIENTEERING WEEK 2023
OTHER THINGS TO DO
3rd Kainuu Trail Hossa National Park (Finland) trail running 1st July 2023
The third Kainuu Trail Hossa National Park trail running will be arranged on Saturday 1st July 2023. Running distances are 78, 55, 38, 21 and 10 k. There is a separate competition category for 12-17-year-olds on the 10 k distance. Check out the event and register for a run on Hossa National Park's stunning trails and spectacular sceneries - www.kainuutrail.fi.
2nd Kainuu MTBO Week 2 - 7 July 2023
The 2nd Kainuu MTBO Week in the history of Kainuu Orienteering Week will be held in the summer of 2023. See the program of the MTBO week at the beginning of this competition invitation. More detailed information about the event: www.rastiviikko.fi/en/2023/kainuu-mtbo-week
Open sprint orienteering event on Monday 3rd July 2023
Place: Event Centre, Kuhmo
Time: Monday 3rd July 2023, at 14-17
Tracks: A, B and C
Map fee: 10 €
Timing: Yes (Emit/MTR)
Prizes: Each track’s fastest time (orienteer) will have free participation either in competition categories or open courses to the 56th Kainuu Orienteering Week 30 June - 5 July 2024 in Joutenlampi, Kajaani, Finland. Additionally, amongst every participant there will be a raffle of one free participation to the Kainuu O-Week 2024.
Open sprint tracks 4 - 6 July 2023
Place: Event Centre, Kuhmo
Tracks: A, B and C (different tracks than in Monday’s 3rd July event)
Map fee: 10 €
Timing: Yes (Emit/MTR), open only in the opening hours of the Event Centre’s KOW info
Maps: Available in the opening hours of the Event Centre’s and the Competition Centre’s KOW info
Prizes: The fastest time (orienteer) on each track between 4 - 6 July 2023 will be awarded with free participation either in competition categories or open courses to the 56th Kainuu Orienteering Week 30 June - 5 July 2024 in Joutenlampi, Kajaani, Finland. Additionally, amongst every participant there will be a raffle of one free participation to the Kainuu O-Week 2024.
Training is possible on 1-2 model maps in Kuhmo. Maps can be purchased in advance from our webshop and on-site at the event from KOW info. Training maps are available in the webshop. Training is also possible all around the Kainuu in recreational orienteering events organized by the orienteering clubs of the Kainuu.
OTHER ACTIVITIES TO DURING KAINUU ORIENTEERING WEEK
26.6.-2.7.2023 Ethno music festival Sommelo
Event website: www.sommelo.net/en/
5.6.-2.7.2023 Coffee concerts in the cafe Juttua
Summer musicians perfom in the cafe from Monday to Friday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m.
2.-23.7.2023 Winter War presentation and café
Place: Jyrkänkoski (Nurmestie 921, Kuhmo) 14 km from Kuhmo to Nurmes (road 75)
Time: 2.-23.7.2023 daily at 10.00 - 18.00
Organizer: Kuhmon Reserviläiset ry
29.6.-31.7.2023 Hilpeä heinäkuu (Hilarious July)
Event website: www.hilpeäheinäkuu.fi (only Finnish)
3.7.2023 Kainuu O Week yard games
Place: Kuhmo sport centre, playing field (Martinpolku 4, Kuhmo)
Time: 4.7.2023 at 11.00 - 13.00
Fee: Free entry
Description: Open event for kids of all ages. Traditional yard games for different ages and wishes.
4.7.2023 Finland is ringing - Evening concert of summer musicians
Place: Kuhmo-talo (Koulukatu 1) Lentua-sali
Time: 4.7.2023 at 18.00 - 19.30
Fee: Free entry
5.7.2023 Kainuu O Week's track and field day
Place: Kuhmo sport centre, plaing field (Martinpolku 4, Kuhmo)
Time: 5.7.2023 at 14.00 - 17.00
Fee: Free entry
Description: Open for kids of every age. Come to get familiar with different disciplines of track and field.
5.7.2023 Tailgate flea market
Place: baseball field (Koulukatu 13-15), next to the bus station
Time: 5.7.2023 at 16.00-19.00
Description: Cafe and grilled sausages. Organizer Kuhmon Kivattaret/Gymnaestrada-group
5.7.2023 Children's-family church
Place: Blessing chapet (Kappelikuja 1, Kuhmo)
Time: 5.7.2023 at 18.00
6.7.2023 Market event
Place: Kuhmo market (Torikatu 22, Kuhmo)
Time: information coming
Description: information coming
9.7.2023 Rowing fishing competition
Place: Iivantiirajärven Onkilahti
Time: 9.7.2023 at 14.00-16.00
Organizer: Iivantiiran osakaskunta
9.7.2023 Youth fishing event
Place: Nivankylä, Kaarneenkoski
Time: 9.7.2023 at 14.00-17.00
Organizer: Kuhmon perhokalastajat (Kuhmo's fly fishermen)
9.-22.7.2023 53rd Kuhmo Camber Music
Event website: www.kuhmofestival.fi/english
OTHER SERVICES AT KUHMO AREA
Restaurants and cafe's
- Bistro Neljä Kaesaa (lunch restaurant)
- Cafe Torilla (restaurant)
- Hotel Kainuu (hotel restaurant)
- Huoltamo Kuksa (gas station and food)
- Josiella (Asian restaurant)
- Kaesan kotileipomo ja herkkupuoti (cafe and delicatessen)
- Kahvila Retro (cafe)
- Kuhmon Pizzeria (pizzeria)
- Ravintola Eskobar (restaurant)
- Ravintola Kanteletar (A la carte restaurant)
- Sormulan Grilli (grill)
- Thai herkku (Thai food takeout restaurant)
Shops and grocery stores
- Ajankulma (watch and jewelry store)
- Hyvärisen Leipomo (bakery)
- Maesema (decoration products)
- M-E-kuva (photography)
- Pajakka Kuhmo (clothin store)
- Pääkkönen & Piirainen (camping and fishing store)
- Rusasen Kulma (lifestyle, toys etc)
- Silas Tonttukylä (Finnish Christmas Decorations)
- Villa Vanamo (yarn store)
- K-Market Heikura (grocery)
- K-Supermarket Kuhmo (grocery)
- S-Market Kuhmo (grocery)
- S-Market Kuhmo Koulukatu (grocery)
- Tokmanni Kuhmo (grocery and clothing)
- For self-employed travelers and those looking for a hike, there is plenty to offer from all over Kainuu.
- There are several hiking routes in Kuhmo e.g. Elimyssalo, Syväjärvi and Sininen polku. See more hiking routes here.
- Other places worth visiting in the Kainuu region include Hossa, Hiidenportti and Tiilikkajärvi national parks and the Akkovaara and Kivesvaara hiking trails.
- The great hill area of Vuokatinvaara at Vuokatti are probably familiar to many, but they rejoice again and again. These and many other places of interest can be found within day-visit distance from Kuhmo. For more information, e.g. www.luontoon.fi, www.koutavuores.net/retkipolut or www.infogis.fi/kainuu/
- Frisbeegolf tracks in Kuhmo: Kalevala sport center frisbeegolf track, Mammankaivo frisbeegolf track and Kuhmo sport center practice track (3 -lane).
- Kuhmo city library
- Kuhmon luontokeskus Petola
- Pajakkakino (movie theatre)
- Tuupalan museo (museum)
- Vienan Portti
- Hotelli Kalevalan activities
- Kalevala Experience
- Lentiira Holiday Willage
- Sammalkota (Moss hut)
- Taiga Spirit
- From the Kainuu pages you can find information about Kainuu, e.g. for the traveler.
- From the Arctic Lakeland pages you can find information on e.g. Kainuu's sights, activities, places to eat and hiking trails.
- From the Tapahtumien Kainuu pages you can find all the things happening in Kuhmo and other places of Kainuu region.
- Wild Taiga´s website has also additional information about Kainuu summertime activities.
- You can search for trekking and hiking routes from Kainuu outdoor activity map.
- You can also visit the hiking trails in the Kainuu region on the Outdooractive website.
- You can Kainuu's fishing sites on the Kalalla Kainuussa website