MEDIA BULLETIN 30.4.2021
53rd Kainuu Orienteering Week and the 1st Kainuu Trail Hossa National Park (Finland) trail running event will tried to be organized in the beginning of July 2021
The world's second oldest orienteering week 53rd Kainuu Orienteering Week will be organized with exceptional arrangements in accordance with the coronavirus situation at the beginning of July on July 4-9, 2021 in Suomussalmi. The competition centre is the Haverinen ski centre area. Competition areas are around the Haverinen ski centre and the terrain consists of fine and fast-moving pine forest terrains.
The 1st Kainuu Trail Hossa National Park 3.7.2021, which will be held for the first time, will also be organized with special arrangements in accordance with the coronavirus situation on Saturday, 3 July 2021 in Hossa National Park. The competition centre is the Hossa Visitor Centre and trail runners will come to enjoy Hossa's finest trail trails and attractions.
- We have been closely monitoring the situation with the coronavirus for the past year, and at the same time, have been considering a wide range of options for the safe organization of competitions. We have also been concretely preparing a health safety plan for the competitions since the autumn of last year, says Jukka Liuha, Secretary General of Kainuu O-Week and Event Manager of the Kainuu Trail.
- The possibility of organizing competitions has been explored many times over the past spring, but only now in the last month has the general epidemic situation started to ease and organizing events like our competitions in early July would seem safe, Liuha explains. We are also prepared for the fact that we will not be able to organize events if the coronavirus situation gets worse and national restrictions are tightened again, but at the moment the situation looks quite good.
- After discussing the possibility of organizing the competitions last week with the Kainuu region's health authorities and key partners in Suomussalmi, we are now continuing to prepare for the competitions as planned, Kainuu O-Week's competition director Pirjo Neuvonen opens. We have already planned strong restrictions and different actions for the arrangements of competitions in order to ensure the health of the participants, the volunteers and the local residents as good as possible.
- We will inform the special actions for the safe arrangement of the competitions during May-June in our bulletins, website, social media and newsletters, as well as in the preliminary instructions sent to all participants by email, Neuvonen and Liuha summarize.
MEDIA BULLETIN 20.3.2020
Kainuu Orienteering Week and Kainuu Trail event arrangements continues normally
Kainuu Orienteering Week union, Suomussalmen Rasti union and the Kainuu Orienteering Week 2020 organizing committee together decided this week that this summer´s Kainuu Orienteering Week event´s arrangements continues as normal as possible despite the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. 53rd Kainuu Orienteering Week event is aimed to organize 28 June – 3 July 2020 in Suomussalmi, Finland.
- At the moment we are planning the event in the normal timetable so that we are able to organise the Kainuu Orienteering Week with the same quality standards as the earlier years, says the chief of competition Pirjo Neuvonen. Of course, we are watching with a clear eye the COVID-19 situation and what the Finnish Government will decide during the near future, Neuvonen continues.
Kainuu Orienteering Week union´s brand new trail running competition the Kainuu Trail 2020 event arrangements are also going forward until further notice. The 1st Kainuu Trail Hossa National Park Finland trail running race is intended to organise (day before Kainuu O-Week) on saturday 27th June 2020 in the Hossa National Park.
- Kainuu Trail preparations are going on and we are so far continuing arrangements as planned earlier but at the same time we are carefully monitoring the coronavirus effects into our event, says the event director Jukka Liuha.
- In both events we are taking care of participants health and safety when preparing the events, Liuha (also known as a Secretary General of the Kainuu O-Week) continues.
The Finnish Government has decided restrictions to control coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic in Finland. These restrictions are so far valid until 13th of April.
We will share more information about Kainuu O-Week and Kainuu Trail arrangements in the end of April.
Kainuu Orienteering Week union
Suomussalmen Rasti union
Kainuu Orienteering Week 2020 organizing committee
Kainuu Orienteering Week 2020 program:
Saturday 27.6.2020: Kainuu Trail Hossa National Park (Finland) trail running event
Sunday 28.6.2020: Kainuu O-Week 1st stage (Competition Centre Haverinen)
Monday 29.6.2020: Open sprint orienteering event (Jätkänpuisto park, Suomussalmi)
Tuesday 30.6.2020: Kainuu O-Week 2nd stage (Competition Centre Haverinen)
Wednesday 1.7.2020: Rest day (program in Hossa National Park)
Thursday 2.7.2020: Kainuu O-Week 3rd stage (Competition Centre Haverinen)
Friday 3.7.2020: Kainuu O-Week 4th stage (Competition Centre Haverinen)
Chief of competition: Pirjo Neuvonen, +358 44 761 3886, email@example.com
Secretary General: Jukka Liuha, +358 44 7679 533, firstname.lastname@example.org
Webpages: www.rastiviikko.fi / www.kainuutrail.fi